What is Compulsive Sexual Behaviour?We all get horny, and sometimes that’s the only thing you can think about, until you are able to have some *ahem* private time. It’s totally normal to have recurring thoughts throughout the day, and this can definitely change depending on where you are in your cycle, too. However, there is a disorder called Compulsive Sexual Behaviour (CSB), sometimes called hypersexuality, hypersexuality disorder or sexual addiction. It can also be called nymphomania. This disorder occurs when someone is constantly occupied with sexual fantasies, urges or behaviour that are difficult to control, causes someone distress, or negatively affects someone’s health, job, relationships or other parts of their life.
What Are The Symptoms Of CSB?One symptom of CSB which is easily identifiable is pornography addiction. As above, there’s nothing wrong wanting sex and helping yourself out by watching porn, and nothing wrong with using porn EVERY time you want to get off, either. However, if the idea of watching it is interfering with being able to get on with regular life though, you may need to reconsider. Some indications that you or another person may be struggling with compulsive sexual behavior include:
- Recurrent and intense sexual fantasies, urges and behaviours that take up a lot of your time and feel as if they're beyond your control.
- You feel driven to do certain sexual behaviours, feel a release of the tension afterward, but also feel guilt or remorse.
- You've tried unsuccessfully to reduce or control your sexual fantasies, urges or behaviour.
- You use compulsive sexual behaviour as an escape from other problems, such as loneliness, depression, anxiety or stress.
- You continue to engage in sexual behaviours that have serious consequences, such as the potential for getting or giving someone else a sexually transmitted infection, the loss of important relationships, trouble at work, financial strain, or legal problems.
- You have trouble establishing and maintaining healthy and stable relationships.